This will be what I build to enter into the 100Th birthday party Bash.
The reason for the name is I will also use it for a build theme at Good Guys Puyallup this year. The Theme is build any Pickup. Then after the show all that enter will draw a number from a hat (or something, there will be a drawing) and you will leave with the truck that matches your number. But you won't leave with your own.
The plan is to build it with a nice stance, Black Fenders, Brown Body two tone paint. Interior will either be silvers and grays or tans and beige's. I might stick a V-8 in it or use the 216 Babbit Beater that's in the kit. Not sure on that yet.
Thanks for the comments guys. They really do add a lot of fun to the build.
Well I have been moving right along on this one. Still haven't made an engine choice yet. I want to keep is simple because I want to be done with this one So I can take part in the Community Build #3 that starts in a week.
I didn't think that I would need to look at the instructions for this one so I ended up putting primer on the body to early in the build. And paint on the rear fenders. That's OK p[art of living and learning. So to set the stance I needed the interior ready to hold the cab in position. So I have been working on the interior. I am to this point with it.
I will probably change the gear shift knob from Black to White. The Black just gets lost with all the dark colors.
I had been messing with the bed and now I needed it to be done so I could see the stance with rear fenders in place. so I went ahead with the wood graining of the bed, also added some BMF. When I was all done it looked like this.
Top and bottom are the same. Really the bottom came out a little darker than the top but it's hard to tell when you look at it.
Now I needed the whole thing together for a mock up. So I painted the bed and mocked it up.
So I put everything together to check the stance and it ended up looking like this.
So now I know I need to move the rear axle back and drop the nose a little.
Then I discovered that the stance wasn't accurate because I was missing some body panels that help support the cab. So I added the pieces putty-ed everything up and went to bed. More to follow soon.
Thanks for looking in all comments and questions are welcome.
Well I started out by getting the noses of the truck down a little. I cut the spindles from the front axle and moved them up as far as they would go. That was .096" (3/32"). This shows how much I moved them. In scale this is 2.4 inches so it about 2 1/2 drop in the front. The spindle on the right is moved and the one on the left is in the kit position.
This keeps the front axle off the ground and gives the truck a better looking stance.
Got the rear wheel in the center of the wheel well, or closer to it. also in this mock up you can see the stance a little better.
I decided to go with the in line 6 that the kit provides. It's the old 216 Cubic Inch "Babbit Beater". It just looks good in the engine bay and is faster than putting in a V8 and working out all the bugs.
This is a mock up of the engine so you see the basic colors.
Mock up in the Truck.
So that's where we are at as of right now. Thanks for looking in all comments and questions are welcome.
Well I am going to do the final update on this one. Thanks for following along, all the comments just make it that much more fun.
I ended up just getting another body from another kit and repainting the whole thing. I don't know what happened but it was ugly. Seems like I have a lot of paint issues, I think the most of them are builder error just get in too much of a hurry. So while I had this build on the bench I also had the Bucket T that I am using for the Community Build #3 on the bench. I didn't realize how small the T Bucket was until then. Here is a picture of what I am talking about. Both are 1/25 scale.
Here is the finished chassis ready for the cab and bed.
Finished engine bay. The Ahoooooga Horn is painted Brass, just like the good old days.
So that's about it for this one. I don't want to spoil the NMA so I will leave it at this. Thanks to all that followed along. Back to that T Bucket for me.
I am done with this build now and don't know where to post the finished pictures. Do they just tag on the end of the build? Do I hold them until they are called for? Is there a special place for them I can't find? I need help I am so confused!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: May 22, 2012 13:32:49 GMT -5 by zbuckster
Well she is all done. I will tell the story again for those that don't know. I am using this build for two purposes. The first is as a give away build for the Goodguys Model Contest in Puyallup this year. The way it works is you leave with another builders truck and it is random draw so nobody knows ahead of time what's up. I feel like a winner either way. If I get another builders Truck that will be one more for the museum. If I am the only one that shows with a truck I bring this home and I am a winner. So I can't lose.
The second reason for the build is to support Bobby Boggs at "The Mad Modeler". They are having a forum project that is "100 Years of Chevrolet". I let this fill that spot also. Thank you Bobby great idea for a project (Wish I would have thought of it).
The build is pretty much box stock with some spark plug wires, boots and wire looms. The paint is Dulpi-color Root Beer Metallic and Black Metallic. The bed is hand painted wood. Wheels are kit with a black wash and valve stems added. The nose was lowered 3 scale inches. It is supposed to be a driver so I didn't want to be to radical with it. Any way here it is.